People around the world celebrated lemurs with us for the World Lemur Festival this October and especially on World Lemur Day, Friday October 30, 2020!
Many of 2020’s World Lemur Festival events will be held virtually due to Covid-19. But, some live events were held in Madagascar and around the world in October and November.
Virtual Events from LCN Members
- October 25 @ 4pm EST: Family friendly virtual trivia with Susie Louis of Conservation Fusion and Jessica Deville of Louisiana Lemur Foundation (See Facebook event)
- October 28 @ 9am EST: Panel Discussion on Conservation Optimism in Madagascar with Malagasy and international conservationists (See Facebook event)
- October 29 @ 9am EST: Madagascar Travel Chat with Madagascar travel specialists (See Facebook Event)
- October 30, 2020, Virtual Gala: View the premiere of DLC’s feature presentation video: Me and You and Zoboomafoo! It can be viewed FREE, and there will be fun extras (info on contests and prizes coming soon!) and an online auction to extend your virtual gala experience through the entire week leading up to the video premiere.
- October 19, The Role of Art in Conservation: Juried art exhibition (Deadline for submissions is Sept 30 at 5pm EST); Conservation and Art talk with Penelope Bodry-Sanders @ 2pm EST
- October 20 through end of week: World Lemur Festival Digital Escape Room
- October 21, Art in Action: Art Tutorial, Free Raffle, and Free print-at-home coloring book
- October 22, Prosiminian Professionals: Lemur expert panel @ 2pm EST, Register at www.bit.ly/lcfexperttalk
- Dr. Erik Patel – LCF Conservation and Research Director
- Caitlin Kenney – LCF Curator of Primates
- Lauren Arshakuni – LCF Senior Primate Keeper
- October 23
- Winner of art raffle and community favorite award announced
- Lemur Trivia Night for teams of animal care professionals in zoos around the USA @ 7pm EST. Select a team to support and donate at www.bit.ly/lemurtrivia2020.
- Sunday November, 1st 2020 at 3 pm Madagascar Time: Webinar on Mahery’s poultry husbandry project in Madagascar with IMVAVET to stave off bushmeat hunting while supporting the nutritional needs of the community through poultry health intervention, including the local development of a thermostable vaccine for Newcastle Disease.
- This webinar will be in Malagasy.
- Facebook event
- October 30: Virtual Talk with Dr. Tecot and lab members about the intersectionality of lemur conservation from a zoo and research standpoint.
Planet Madagascar with the Toronto Zoo
- October 30
- Behind-the-scenes visit with the ring-tailed lemurs at the Toronto Zoo; a Q & A with Planet
Madagascar’s in-country Director from Madagascar; a quick trip to the Lemur Forest at North Carolina’s Duke Lemur Center; a panel of experts discussing the threats to primate species; and an author and conservationist telling her story of an epic adventure in Madagascar.
- Hosted by Exploring by the Seat of Your Pants via YouTube and Facebook
- Find more details on Planet Madagascar’s Facebook page
- Behind-the-scenes visit with the ring-tailed lemurs at the Toronto Zoo; a Q & A with Planet
- October 30: Free virtual event with lemur conservation talk and cooperation project in Madagascar; live chat with Agua de Coco project from Madagascar (https://aguadecoco.org/que-hacemos/madagascar/).
- Viernes 30/10/2020 17:00 CET: Lémures y su estado de conservación – Dra. Gloria Fernàndez-Lazaro (Universidad Complutense de Madrid, Instituto Franklin y APE). Proyectos de conservación y cooperación al desarrollo en Madagascar – José Guirao (Fundación Agua de Coco y ONG Belavenir)
- Join their Lemur Bounce to celebrate lemurs and raise money for conservation!
- Download their lemur bounce resources for schools and other learning materials
- October 30: Going wild with lemurs in south-east Madagascar! Join researchers from Oxford Brookes University who are working in southeast Madagascar. They will share with their experiences of studying lemurs and bring these wonderful animals closer to you. Join our celebration and learn what it’s like to live and work in Madagascar!
- Talks and discussion with Elena Racevska, Calire Cardinal and Dr Giusseppe Donati
- Join Zoom meeting: https://brookes.zoom.us/j/87546273571 with ID: 875 4627 3571
- Stream live on Facebook: https://bit.ly/31DsFlf
Events in Madagascar
Throughout Madagascar, Ministry of the Environment
- October 30: TV show on Madagascar National TV (Channel TVM) with GERP
Antananarivo, Tsimbazaza Botanical and Zoological Park
- October 30: Lemur exhibition; Kamishibai about varecia viegata subsincta and Lemur catta
- October 30: An exhibition about the lemurs and their habitats at the public garden of Antaninarenina-Antananarivo
Kianjavato, Conservation Fusion
- October 23: Community events including Conservation Camp and reforestation with Star Club
Ranomafana, Centre ValBio
- October 30: Community events including an outdoor movie screening, arts and craft activities, and lemur costume contest
Sainte Luce, SEED Madagascar
- Five showings of 3 David Attenborough documentaries, which have been translated into Malagasy: at 2 local schools, and at the Chef Fokontany’s office, which will be attended by the Forest Management committee members, landowners of the forest corridors, and two representatives from DREDD. Showings will include film quizzes with prizes.
- Planting events of native species within three forest corridors dedicated to World Lemur Day, with an education session on the importance of the corridors to lemur conservation.
Antalaha (SAVA), Duke Lemur Center
- October 30: Partners from different sectors will have booths with activities to engage all ages
- Take a photo where you are holding a cardboard / paper that you have written your message to protect lemurs with where you live and #WLD2020 at the end. Send it as a private message to Ary Saina on Facebook.
- Post in Malagasy: https://www.facebook.com/arysaina.mada/posts/1528421874027507
Events in the USA
Louisiana Lemur Foundation @ Lola’s Art Experience in Mandeville, Louisiana
- October 30, 12 to 6pm: Join the Louisiana Lemur Foundation for a World Lemur Day event at Lola’s Art Experience! Featuring lemur learning resources, lemur-themed goodie bags, and a silent auction benefiting the Louisiana Lemur Foundation.
Leesburg Animal Park, Leesburg, Virginia
- Late September to November 3: Lemur conservation activities in Pumpkin Village, including informative posters, lemur-themed corn hole games and round bale art, and a lemur photo cutout for fun pictures! Guests can also sign a banner for World Lemur Festival 2020.
Staten Island Zoo, New York
- October 28th, 12pm-3pm EST: Keeper talks, lemur training sessions, crafts/enrichment for the lemur troops, and conservation table
Cape May Zoo, New Jersey
- October 26th, 10am-2pm EST: Virtual Event During Boo at the Zoo; live keeper chat, Facebook posts and an auction with paintings; proceeds donated to lemur conservation
Oakland Zoo, California
- December: Podcast with Centre ValBio about conservation in Madagascar
Wildlife Safari, Winston, Oregon
- October 30: Facebook Live at 11am PST on Friday
- October 29: Facebook posts about lemurs
Cougar Mountain Zoo, Issaquah, Washington
- October 30 @ 9am PST: Live mini-lecture on Facebook Live on Lemurs. Activities on our website on lemurs and Madagascar – word searches, coloring sheet, activities, etc, for kids to download and do at home.
Events in Europe and the UK
Hoo Farm, Shropshire, UK
- October 24-30: Lemur forest walk, educational talks, competition, adopt a lemur, animal experience. Free admission for armed forces, NHS, police and fire services.
Peak Wildlife Park, Staffordshire, UK
- October 30: Stall in lemur enclosure with donation station and adoption packs; hiding lemur teddies on a trail round the zoo for people to find; a lemur ‘high jump’ station (Can you jump as high as a ring tailed lemur?); auctioning paintings hand painted by the lemurs
- Lemur fan Barrie Caird will be running 13 miles in around 2 hours in aid of World Lemur Day, finishing his journey at Peak Wildlife Park!
South Lakes Safari Zoo, Cumbria, UK
- October 24: Join us in the build up to World Lemur Day as we hear ‘tails’ of these endangered ‘Ghosts of the Forests’ and meet the keepers who take care of them here at Safari Zoo. At the end we’ll head to Snoopy’s Grill to sample some traditional Malagasy dishes. Members only. Tickets at https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/festival-of-lemurs-tickets-119783799569
Combe Martin Wildlife Park, Ilfracrombe, UK
- 25th October- 1st November: Our yearly Halloween event, this year joined with World Lemur Day for a Halloween and lemur celebration! Activities include a pumpkin trail, terrifying tomb, lemur quiz, sweet and lemur prizes, and Halloween decorations.
- Raising money for Lemur Love
Five Sisters Zoo, Calder, Scotland, UK
- October 30: Live talks, feeds and Q&A sessions on Facebook Live10:00 Live Lemur tour
11:00 Live Ring Tailed Lemur Feed
14:00 Live SEED Madagascar takeover
15:00 Live Ruffed Lemur Feed
16:00 Live Wonderful wildlife of Madagascar (live Q&A)
- October 29:”Lemur enrichment” – Ivana Kovarik Antonović, zoologist (Zagreb Zoo)
“Lemur diet” – Lorena Mičak, zookeeper (Zagreb Zoo)
“Taking care of lemurs in a Zoo environment” – Valentino Macan, zookepeer (Zagreb Zoo)
“Lemur conservation” – Elena Račevska, primatologist (Oxford Brookes University)
“My life with lemurs in Madagascar” – Elena Račevska, primatologist (Oxford Brookes University)All resources can be found at https://zoo.hr/svjetski-dan-lemura/ and https://www.facebook.com/zoozagreb/
Events in Asia
Chengdu Foreign Languages School, China, UN17 Goals
- October 30: Jumble Sale fundraising for LCN
- November 7: World Lemur Day Fair, Partnering with New Art Exhibition Association
Ueno Zoo, Tokyo, Japan
- October 25-30: Onsite signage, information handout to zoo guests, and social media posts.
- World Lemur Day Online Sales Donation, October 30: 30% of all online sales on World Lemur Day will be donated to participating lemur conservation organizations
- World Lemur Day / Halloween Giveaway, October 16 to 23: World Lemur Day / Halloween Giveaway on Instagram. To enter the giveaway:
- Follow @eatbeyondgood and a list of lemur conservation organizations
- Like the post + tag 3 friends
- Winner will be announced on October 26
- Winner will win a master case of mini Sea Salt Nibs bars (120 bars, $160 value – perfect for Halloween!)
- Donating some profits from the sale of their Madagascan flourless cake balls to a lemur charity.
- Use code LCNWLD2020 for a discount on purchases during the World Lemur Festival
- The first book of the series “Adventures of a Clumsy Hero” will be available for FREE on the 30th of October as a small present for Lemur Day!
Lemur Catta is one of the 5 endangered heroes.
- Download and review on Amazon to spread the lemur love!
- Montclair State University, New Jersey, USA: Activities during related courses
- Galesburg Public Library, Illinois, USA: October 12 at 10am, the Animal Explorers Club will focus on primates and lemurs for the World Lemur Festival.
- Inside Out Forest Schools, Derbyshire, UK: Educational activities taking place during workshops (fully booked)
- Central Washington University, Washington, USA: CWU’s Primate Awareness Network will be sharing social media posts each day the week of October 30 to highlight Malagasy researchers, conservation work, alumni who study lemurs, and more.
Online and Social Media Participation
Check out the social media pages below to see special posts about World Lemur Day, including Facebook Live, videos, quizzes, and more.
Podcasts and Video Channels
- Just the Zoo of Us: Podcast about Coquerel’s Sifakas with Planet Madagascar
- Travs Travels: YippeeTV will do a campaign around World Lemur Day and conservation in Madagascar
- Conservation Fusion
- Chances for Nature
- WWF Madagascar
- Madagascar Lemurs Portal
- Ary saina
- Project Simia
- Primate Awareness Network
- Smithsonian National Zoo, Washington, DC
- Philadelphia Zoo, Pennsylvania
- Bramble Park Zoo, Watertown, South Dakota
- Oregon Zoo
- Cougar Mountain Zoo, Washington
- Jacksonville Zoo, Florida
- Ringling College of Art and Design, Florida
- Lion Country Safari, Florida
- Cape May Zoo, New Jersey
- Five Sisters Zoo, Calder, Scotland, UK
- Manor House Wildlife Park, UK
- Banham Zoo, UK
- Africa Alive, UK
- Reaseheath Mini Zoo, Cheshire, UK
- Shrepreth Wildlife Park, UK
- Ponderosa Zoo, Yorkshire, UK
- Hobbledown Adventure Farm Park and Zoo, Surrey, UK
- Japan Monkey Centre
- Jawa Timur Park 2, Indonesia
- Tokiwa Zoo, Japan
- Synchronicity Dance, UK
- October 29 on Facebook: Virtual dancers get together with special guests Esref Ulas and Dimi Valenti, including a fun lemur quiz and fundraising for Lemur Love!
- Peppermint Narwhal Creative
- A-B Creative
Social Media Influencers
- @rachelmeetsplanet (Rachel Hale)
- @zoogirlq (Madison Quintanar)
- @zookeeperjawnie (Jawnie Payne)
- Jungle Jordan (Jordan Veasley): YouTube, Instagram
- Chaz Powell, Explorer
- Felinar Mr. Lemur, Illustrator
Email us to have your event or activity added to this calendar. And, send us links or graphics we can use to promote your event on social media.
Leap for lemurs on World Lemur Day! Learn, Share, and Act to Save Lemurs Together.