Celebrate lemurs with us for the World Lemur Festival this October and especially on World Lemur Day, Friday October 29, 2021!
Events from the Lemur Conservation Network
- October 22: Panel Discussion with Malagasy Conservation Leaders, in collaboration with Madagascar Lemurs Portal (in Malagasy): View video on Facebook
- October 26 @9am EST: Panel Discussion with Malagasy and International Conservation Leaders (in English): View Facebook event
- Pangolin, The Conservation Podcast: New series of episodes on lemurs and Madagascar airing September 20 to October 29
- Mongabay Kids: Celebrate World Lemur Festival with lots of fun ways to learn about lemurs for ages 6 to 12, created in partnership with the Lemur Conservation Network
- Ask a Scientist: 2 scientists will answer questions about lemurs and their research on 3 days in October on Twitter. Organized by Project Simia. Q and A about ring-tailed lemurs with Stephanie Canington on October 14, and Q and A about blue-eyed black lemurs with Dr. Jen Tinsman on October 26.
- October Drawing Challenge: Draw animals from Madagascar every day in October and share your artwork to celebrate the World Lemur Festival. Organized by Felinar Mr. Lemur, the illustrator of this year’s logo!
- Instagram Live on World Lemur Day with LCN Director Lucia Rodriguez on Animal_Karma, in Spanish at 11am.
- Social Media: Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter for extra posts all month for the World Lemur Festival. Extra posts by Primate Pedagogy.
Sahamalaza National Park Lemurs Festival
- September 23-25
- Organized by Mikajy Natiora
Zoo de Tsimbazaza, Antananarivo
- Event, educational activities, and exhibition for National Lemur Day
Corridor Ankeniheny Zahamena (CAZ)
- November 22-29
- Conservation International in collaboration with the team from the Ministry of Education and the Ministry of the Environment will celebrate National Lemur Day in the Corridor Ankeniheny Zahamena (CAZ).
- The event will be held in the three communes in the eastern part of the corridor (Anjahamana, Andranobolaha and Ambalarondra) and in one commune in the western part (Fierenana).
- Duke Lemur Center is collaborating with CURSA to hold World Lemur Festival events in rural communities in the 4 main areas of the SAVA region.
Montagne des Francais
- The Madagascar Biodiversity Partnership celebrated World Lemur Day with local communities from Andavakoera, Ivovona and Betahitra with two planting events over two days.
- Thank you to the Omaha’s Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium, IUCN Save Our Species, EU International Partnerships, and Re:wild for supporting this event.
- Conservation Fusion and the Madagascar Biodiversity Partnership are celebrating World Lemur Day with communities in Kianjavato!
- Educational outings with the eco clubs to visit lemurs in the forest
- Tree planting to restore critical lemur habitat
- SEED Madagascar is holding a football match in Sainte Luce! All six teams will be playing for their species to win, all whilst learning more about these species from a conservation video screening afterwards! Football is a much-loved community activity in Sainte Luce, and by bringing these lemurs into the game, we hope to see more positive local associations with these species.
- This is Madagascar (Ranomafana Tours) is holding fun educational activities for the kids in the area on World Lemur Day.
- The Platform of Protected Area Managers of the DIANA Region and the AVG held on to mobilize 6th grade schools to renew the 2nd edition of “Question for the Environment” (QPE).
- The Municipality of Ambohimahamasina celebrated this day with local communities, children and youth. NGO Ny Tanintsika, DREDD Haute Matsiatra, the cantoning chief, the district chief and other local authorities raised awareness about the importance of protecting lemurs and their natural habitat.
Virtual Events from LCN Member Organizations
Duke Lemur Center
- Mission Madagascar Virtual Gala, October 1
- Join us on Friday, Oct. 29, for an online video look behind the scenes, a chance to meet the lemurs, and learn about lemur conservation efforts. The fun begins at 10:30 am on Duke’s Facebook and Youtube Channels.
Lemur Conservation Foundation
- Virtual Workshop: All About Ako! October 23, 2021 1pm EDT – 3.30pm EDT
Calling all educators! Get ready for a unique opportunity to blend art, science, and a variety of other subjects to teach your students about lemurs. Join the Lemur Conservation Foundation’s Virtual Workshop: All About Ako! This free professional development opportunity is open to formal and informal educators teaching ages 5-11 years old. Discover how to promote awareness of environmental issues through the exploration of lemurs and Madagascar’s rich biodiversity featured in The Ako Series books by Dr. Alison Jolly. A certificate of completion will be issued after the workshop to be used for CEUs.
Register for this event
- Conservation Conversations: Global Connections, October 28, 2021 12pm EDT – 1pm EDT
Join us digitally to meet the staff at the Lemur Conservation Foundation dedicated to protecting lemurs from extinction. Representatives from our reserve in Myakka City, FL, and halfway across the world in Madagascar will be broadcasting live for an in-depth conversation. This talk is free and perfect for students interested in conservation careers, LCF supporters, and lemur enthusiasts. Our panel of experts is eager to explain the importance of their work and answer questions. Free to register, but space is limited.
Register for this event
- Virtual World Lemur Festival, October 25-29, 2021
Celebrate lemurs all week long with the Lemur Conservation Foundation’s free, family-friendly, virtual activities. View stunning lemur art from around the world, take a 360° virtual tour of our reserve in Myakka City, FL, try out our series of prosimian puzzles in a brand-new digital escape room, enter free raffle giveaways, and more! Visit LCF’s website to get started.
- October 30, 2021
- Celebrate the World Lemur Day with Ary Saina on Zoom. There will be art exhibitions, games, and many virtual activities. Everyone can register by October 29, 2021.
- Register for this event
Virtual Events from Zoos
- Virtual Halloween Workshop: Ghosts of Madagascar – Age 6-8, October 29
- Virtual Halloween Workshop: Ghosts of Madagascar – Age 9-12, October 29
- 10/25 @ 5:30PST: Virtual beginner yoga class to benefit Lemur Love, more info to come
- October 29, starting @ 10 am (ET)
- Online sale through their Instagram page including animal canvas paintings, bookmarks, magnets and more!
- Raised funds will be donated to Lemur Love
- October 29
- Selling paintings made by the ring-tailed lemurs online at www.facebook.com/cmczaazk
- Event will be taking place on World Lemur Day, Friday, 10/29
- Lemur themed activities on social media for kids to do at home.
- A link for an informational video on lemurs will be posted.
- Live streaming our lemur minilecture at 11:30am PST. It will also be viewable in person as well!
- Friday, October 29,@ 1:30 pm (ET)
- Tune in to Franklin Park Zoo’s Facebook page to meet the ring-tailed lemur troop during a World Lemur Day chat with some of their caretakers! Send your own lemur questions during the video, and we may even answer them on camera!
Other Virtual Events
Universidad Complutense de Madrid y Asociación Primatologica Espanola
- October 29 @ 1900 h CET
- Asociación Primatológica Española (APE) y Universidad Complutense de Madrid (UCM)
- Título: Acercando el día Internacional del Lémur a la Escuela
Title: Bringing the World Lemur Day to Schools
- Dra. Gloria Fernández-Lázaro
Gloria Fernández-Lázaro, PhD
- Este año centramos la celebración del día Internacional del Lémur en los recursos educativos que se pueden utilizar en la escuela tanto en Infantil como Primaria y Secundaria. Además hablaremos de quiénes son los lémures, su estado de conservación, el porqué de este día y su conexión con el desarrollo sostenible.
- This year, for the celebration of the World Lemur Day, we will focus on the resources that teachers can use in schools and where to find them. We will also explain who are the lemurs, their conservation status and how bringing this knowledge is related to sustainable development.
- Idioma: Español
- Acceso directo a la charla: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwDTa2KZcco
Direct link to access the talk : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwDTa2KZcco
- El vídeo se quedará grabado en el canal de Youtube de la APE (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSczDewxkZAEqmXmpbQ-00Q/featured)
The video will be recorded and accessible to watch it later in the APE Youtube Channel (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSczDewxkZAEqmXmpbQ-00Q/featured)
The Society for Conservation Biology, Berkley Chapter (California, USA)
- Tuesday, November 2 @ 9:00 AM (PST)
- SCB Talk for World Lemur Day” A holistic approach for Lemur conservation”
- Presented by: Josia Razafindramanana, Ph.D (GERP & Impact Madagascar)
- Please register at: https://berkeley.zoom.us/meeting/register/tJ0vcu2trT8jG9NJH9CZvvfXI9nV4KUo3kX1
- October 29 @ 5 pm (BST)/11 am (ET)
IG Live with Lucía Rodriguez, Director of the Lemur Conservation Network
In-person Events from Zoos
- Our zookeepers will be holding special presentations on exciting lemur-related topics:
- Ring-Tailed Lemur Keeper Chat
11:30 a.m. – Lemur Island
- Many species large and small are threatened by the illegal trade of wildlife, and lemurs are no exception. Learn about the harmful effects of prosimians in the pet trade and how you can help. Afterward, watch while the lemurs on Lemur Island engage with enrichment!
- Red-Ruffed Lemur Keeper Chat
1:30 p.m. – Red-ruffed lemur exhibit
- Learn all about red-ruffed lemurs during this fun and educational keeper chat! Keepers will teach guests about the lemurs’ important adaptations while lemurs engage with enrichment.
- At each presentation, you are welcome to ask our zookeepers all your lemur questions! There will also be a fun activity table for you to learn more about lemurs!
- Ring-Tailed Lemur Keeper Chat
World Lemur Festival will be celebrated on Saturday, October 30, from 10 am to 3:30 pm There will be lemur-themed activities led by our year-round Zoo Crew team throughout the day from 10:00 am-2:30 pm We will then have the “We Love Lemurs Parade” from 3:00 pm to 3:30 pm.
There will also be a dance floor at the end of the Reflection Pool for guests to show off their dance moves and have fun celebrating lemurs just like our partners in Madagascar do. Dressing up as your favorite lemur is encouraged, just in time for Halloween!
This event is included with general admission and free for members.
- Friday October 29, 10am to 3pm
- World Lemur Day activities are free with general admission; free for Zoo Atlanta Members and children under 3.
- Meet and feed a lemur during a Lemur Wild Encounter. Additional fee required. Limited spots available; advance reservations recommended.
- Leap like a Lemur while learning about the vital role these animals play in their natural habitats!
- Discover unique characteristics of lemurs during Mysterious Metaphors: A Lemur Grab Bag Game.
- Learn simple ways you can be a conservation hero for lemurs!
- Our social media sites will also feature a World Lemur Day takeover throughout the day.
Celebrate World Lemur Day at the Little Rock Zoo on Saturday, October 30, 2021! Zoo staff and Zoo docents will be on hand to host activities and answer questions about lemurs. The activities are included in the cost of admission. We will have:
- 9:30 AM: Gibbon baby (Goblin’s) birthday celebration
- 10:00 AM – 3:00 PM: Informational talks and demonstrations at lemur island
- 11:00 AM: Training demonstration
- 2:00 PM: Halloween-themed enrichment
- October 29
- On-site interpretive station for guests focused on lemurs, their adaptations, habitat, and conservation.
- October 30
- Extra keeper chats about lemurs
- October 10 and 17 from 10am to 2pm
- $10/adult and $5/child
- We invite artists of all ages to join us as we observe and draw our lemurs for a great cause! You can support our habitat restoration efforts in Madagascar by submitting your drawings of our lemurs for the second annual Green Again Madagascar coloring book! Fees go directly towards our new lemur habitats. Don’t forget to bring your drawing supplies!
- October 29th @ 11 Am
- Lemur enrichment and keeper talk
- Lemur presentations with special enrichment
- Fun lemur facts and graphics in the Tropics classroom
- October 29th
- Lemur Chats and Training Demonstrations @ 10am & 2pm
- plus fun activities to learn more about lemurs.
San Francisco Zoo’s Lemur Keepers (California, USA)
- October 29th @ 6pm
- Yoga in the Park
- The event will take place at Lake Merced park
- Proceeds will go to Lemur Love
- October 22nd 6:00 pm -9:00 pm (CDT)
- Lotería for Lemurs at 1929 Whiskey Tavern
- AAZK President and Primate Keeper will be starting off the night with a quick presentation about lemurs, why they need our help, the Madagascar Biodiversity Partnership, and why this organization was chosen to donate to.
- The lotería games will begin shortly after and continue until 9 pm or until all prizes have been won.
- A short intermission will take place during the night to allow participants to order food/drinks from the bar or place an order from Dodici Pizza and Wine.
- Lemur art, photos, books, and shirts are available for purchase as well.
- All proceeds will be donated to Madagascar Biodiversity Partnership!
- October 29th
- Docents on grounds discussing lemurs from 9 am – 3 pm
- October 29
- Activities all day at the zoo about lemurs, including extra keeper chats, Friday Finders Club, educational activities in the Discovery Room, and special enrichment for the lemurs.
- October 29
- Enrichment for lemurs
- Leap like a lemur activity & coloring pages and more!
- October 29
- Special enrichment for the 14 resident lemurs along with informative keeper chats.
- Paintings done by lemurs will be sold in the gift shop to support Jacksonville Zoo and Garden’s conservation partners.
- Those that are interested can “adopt” a lemur to help with their care.
Europe and the UK
- October 29, 30, 31 from 10am to 5pm in Africa Village
Crafts and Games: Craft activities including make your lemur mask, a headband of King Julian or a beautiful coloring page! There are also some fun games, such as prick the lemur tail or lemur memory!
Keeper Talks: Ranger Robin and Renee will drop by at 11am, 2pm and 4pm
- Feeding presentations at the ring-tailed lemurs at 11am, 12:30pm, 1:30pm and 3pm.
- Giveaway: In the walking area of the ring-tailed lemurs (near Kongoplein) you can participate in the giveaway for a small contribution. Guess how many primate chunks are in the jar and have a chance to feed the ring-tailed lemurs with a zookeeper!
- Boat Safari: 11:30 am every day. Cost is €15 p.p.
- Gift items for sale
- Proceeds benefit the Lemur Rescue Center in Madagascar!
- October 23 & 24
- Lemur Charity Weekend to raise money in aid of Impact Madagascar’s ring-tailed lemur Berenty Project!
- Join the keepers at their stall outside the Safari restaurant for lemur-themed games and an amazing tombola! Enter an online prize draw to win an unforgettable VIP off-road safari experience and an opportunity to meet the lemurs!
- Donate at: https://www.facebook.com/donate/2831508757159415/
- October 29th
- Fundraising in the park and online for Lemur Love!
- Fun ‘can you leap like a lemur?’ activity
- Lemur adoption drive
- Auction of paintings created by the lemurs at the park!
- On Friday 29th October visit Lemur woods where you will find a range of fun crafts, talks and entertainment throughout the day🎨
- Build puzzle feeders, design your own Lemur mask and even join us for story time as we raise awareness around this incredible species for #WorldLemurDay !❤️
- Book your visit now at yorkshirewildlifepark.com
- We are also celebrating World Lemur Day in Zagreb, Croatia.
- It is a collaboration between Zagreb Zoo (Zagreb, Croatia), SEED Madagascar (Fort Dauphin, Madagascar) and Dr Elena Račevska.
- Our event includes texts about lemur conservation and working with lemurs in situ. It is live on this website: https://zoo.hr/
svjetski-dan-lemura-2021/ and the Zagreb Zoo Facebook page: https://fb.watch/ 8XnLyWON2F/
- October 1-31 Madagascar Photo Exhibition
- October 16-17 Talk Event with “Shoez” -What can we do to save lemurs?-
- October 29 The World Lemur Day Special Event. “Lemur Buff Quiz Show” will be posted on Youtube.
- October 9, 15:00-15:30(JST) and October 23 15:00-15:50(JST) Live from Madagascar on Youtube.
Tokiwa Zoo (Ube, Japan)
- ”Q&A about Lemurs”
- YouTube video release on October 29
- Dr. Taizo Shima answers questions from the general public.
- Only available in Japanese
- “Ring-tailed lemur footprint postcard” fundraiser
- Postcards can be purchased at the Tokiwa zoo on October 29
- Proceeds will be donated to the Japan Aye-aye Foundation
Ueno Zoological Gardens (Tokyo, Japan)
- Posters about Ring-tailed lemurs and World Lemur Day
- Social media
More In-person Events
Synchronicity Dance Charity Halloween Salsa Party for World Lemur Day (Staffordshire, UK)
- A fun, fancy dress night of dancing benefiting Lemur Love
- Bringing us the best tunes and his boundless energy is Eşref Parranda Ulaş
- Charity raffle
- Book online at www.synchronicitydance.com
- October 29th, 4:00 pm-6:30 pm
- Lemur Sculpture Reveal
- Pizza Party
- Costume Contest
Galesburg Public Library (Illinois, USA)
- Animal Explorers Club featuring the World Lemur Festival
- 2021 World Lemur Festival buttons
- Passport to Madagascar activity
- Film screening on CWU campus
- Passport to the World: Madagascar
- The Lemur’s Island
Hathaway Brown School (Ohio, USA)
- This school in Ohio, USA hosted a private event in honor of World Lemur Day at the school’s assembly for all kids!
Luna Baker (Ohio, USA)
- Selling lemur cookies for the month of November with a portion of the proceeds donated!
LCN Member Organizations
- American Museum of Natural History
- Smithsonian Museum of Natural History
- Yale’s Peabody Museum
- Zoo New England
- Scoville Zoo
- Audubon Zoo
- Topeka Zoo
- Calgary Zoo
- The Florida Aquarium
- Rolling Hills Zoo
- Zoo Atlanta
- Fife Zoo
- Hamerton Zoo Park
- Miller Park Zoo
- San Francisco Zoo
- Paradise Wildlife Park