World Lemur Day is celebrated on the last Friday of October each year, and the World Lemur Festival is celebrated around the world in the weeks surrounding it. Learn more about World Lemur Day and how you can celebrate.
- What is the World Lemur Festival?
- When and where was the first World Lemur Festival?
- How can zoos, educators, individuals, and conservation organizations celebrate?
- Can I or my organization use the World Lemur Day logo on our marketing materials or social media posts?
- How can the Lemur Conservation Network help me with my event or lemur promotions?
- Can I combine World Lemur Day activities with my zoo or school’s fall festival or Halloween activities?
What is the World Lemur Festival?
The World Lemur Festival is an annual celebration of lemurs and Madagascar. World Lemur Day is celebrated on the last Friday of October. The World Lemur Festival through virtual and in-person events in the days and weeks surrounding World Lemur Day, both in Madagascar and around the world.
When and where was the first World Lemur Festival?
The first World Lemur Festival was celebrated in 2014 in Madagascar’s capital city of Antananarivo. It was organized by Professor Jonah Ratsimbazafy of GERP Madagascar. It raised awareness about the value of lemurs as Madagascar’s unique natural heritage among scientists and the general public in Madagascar. It aimed to awaken pride for lemurs in Malagasy people, improve the economy through tourism, and promote lemur conservation and education worldwide. Since 2015, the World Lemur Festival has been celebrated around the world at zoos, in schools, and online. Learn about the first World Lemur Festival.
How can zoos, educators, individuals, and conservation organizations celebrate?
Can I or my organization use the World Lemur Day logo on our marketing materials or social media?
Yes, absolutely! The illustration featured on the 2022 logo was created by Katy Tanis of Daughter Earth. It is free and available for you to use on the marketing materials for your event or in social media posts about World Lemur Day and the World Lemur Festival.
The artist has given LCN permission to sell items with this logo in our shop to fundraise for lemur conservation and help us celebrate lemurs. However, if you plan to create items for sale that use this logo, please contact us first. It should be okay if the logo is only a small portion of the item (such as if the logo is included along with other logos who are sponsors of your event). But out of respect for the artist, the illustration by itself should not be the featured or most prominent artwork on your items for sale.
How can the Lemur Conservation Network help me with my event or activities for World Lemur Day?
There are many ways that the Lemur Conservation Network can help you with your event:
- LCN will promote your event or activity on our annual event calendar and social media. Contact us and send us your event details.
- Find free teaching resources about lemurs and Madagascar
- Find inspiration through our participation guide, social media guide and wildlife day inspiration page
- Connect with one of our member organizations to collaborate on an event
- Help you prepare educational materials about lemurs for your event. Contact us if you would like some content to use on a poster or handout.
The Lemur Conservation Network does not typically sponsor or pay for people or organizations to hold events. Occasionally, we will make a donation to an LCN member organization to help pay for their event in Madagascar. Contact us if you are a member organization who needs help paying for your community event in Madagascar.
Can I combine World Lemur Day activities with my zoo or school’s fall festival or Halloween activities?
Yes! Aye-ayes and the other nocturnal lemurs are a perfect fit for Halloween. Feel free to combine World Lemur Day activities with a costume party, Halloween event, or fall festival that you are already planning to hold.
Keep in mind that you can also hold World Lemur Festival events earlier in October or in November. The Festival dates are flexible!