Events in Madagascar
Ranomafana: A fun and educational festival!
- Madagascar National Park tables with information about the lemurs of Ranomafana
- Lemur Trivia & Games
- Interactive Art Stations
- Reforestation/ Native tree Information
- Youth Group Performances
- BeLobal Sustainable charcoal demo
- 8am: Parade from Kianja Maitso to Tranompokonolona
- 9am: Opening Ceremony outside Tranompokonolona
- 10am: Interactive arts, stories, and dance performances inside Tranompokonolona
- 12pm: Cocktail Party
- 1pm: Competitions and Demonstrations
- 4pm: Competition Prize Winners
Let’s make it FUN and EDUCATIONAL
- Hold lemur trivia! Prizes
- Face painting
- Make a lemur or Madagascar information sheet
- Bring photos or other Madagascar items for display
- Make a slide show of inspiring lemur photos /videos shown throughout the event
- Wear lemur t-shirts or costumes!
- Learn how to make a lemur costume here.
- Sponsors for Banners, Fliers, and Social Media Ads, Art and educational supplies, Local Artist and Musicians, Food and Drinks and Event Shirts (with Sponsors on the back)
- Event Decorations Committee
- Logistics: Car rides, supplies
- Artists, Musicians, Photographers
- Shirt order and pick up
- Event set up
- Communication and coordination
Partners and Potential Donors
Join us to help make this an unforgettable, FUN, and educational event for the Love of Lemurs and community. Sponsors will get their logo on the back of the event shirts and will be recognized during the event. You will also get special updates on how your sponsorship made a difference to the World Lemur Day Festival 2019 in Ranomafana. Thank you on behalf of the entire Ranomafana community! If you are interested please email email@example.com
Andapa: November 16
The festival will be celebrated with a parade, art and dance contests, lemur trivia and prizes, BBC film in Malagasy.
Also, this year, nurses that work for Lemur Conservation Foundation will be providing free family planning services (November 15 &16) in the hospital in Andapa, which is very close to the main World Lemur Festival activities.
Through LCF collaboration with Marie Stopes nurses, they have treated over 500 women this year so far (and over 400 last year) with the 3-year contraceptive implant which is in huge demand.
Doana: October 11
The Andapa and Doana events are hosted by WWF Madagascar, the Lemur Conservation Foundation, Madagascar National Parks, the Duke Lemur Center, and the Wildlife Conservation Society, with support from SOS Lemurs initiative.
- Date and schedule of events TBD
- Hosted by GERP
Isoraka- ICMMA– Press release
Monday 21 October
- 09:00: Setup and technical preparation
- 09h 30: Greetings
- 10:00 am: Press release (interview)
- 10:30 am: Cocktail
Scientific Day on Tuesday, October 22, 2019 (Room Q2 in Ankatso)
- 08h 30 : Welcoming the Assistance
- 08h 45 : Arrival of guests
- 09:00 – 09:15: Speeches
- 09h 15 – 09h 45: Pr Jonah RATSIMBAZAFY (My 200 scientific publications)
- 09h 45 – 10h 15: Dr RAZAFINDRAMANA Josia (How to make species conservation effective? Case of the Sifaka Conservation Programme
- 10h 15 – 10h 45: Dr ANDRIANTSARALAZA – CORDUANT Seheno (Lemur Conservation Network for capacity building of Malagasy organisations and associations as key actors for Lemur Conservation)
- 10h 45 – 11h 15 : Mr RAKOTONDRAMANA Alihasina (Madagascar Lemurs Portal : From information to Lemur conservation
- 11:15 – 11:45 am: Mr. RANDRIANASOLO Harison (Let’s act together to keep Lemurs in danger in the Ankeniheny Zahamena Corridor, CAZ.
- 11:45 am: Closing speech
- 12pm: Cocktail
Carnival on Friday 25 October 2019 : Parade – Exhibition and Entertainment (At Mahamasina Annex Stadium)
- 08h 00 : Arrival at the Ambohijatovo Garden
- 09h 00 : Departure of carnival at the Ambohijatovo Garden
- 09h 30 : Arrival of official folks
- 10:30 am: Arrival of the carnival at the Mahamasina Annex Stadium
- 11:00 am: Speeches
- 11:30 am: Exhibition opening
- 12h 00 : Cocktail
- 12:30 pm: Various animations and contests
- 15h 00 : Certificate distribution
- 15:30: Closing of activities
- Date TBD
- Date TBD
Events in North America
Charity Trivia at Solly’s Tavern, Hosted by the Lemur Conservation Network
- Wednesday, October 23, 2019
- Upstairs at Solly’s. Solly’s will be donating 10% of upstairs bar sales.
- Bar trivia including one round of lemur trivia!
- Silent auction with lemur items to snag, including a lemur costume, lemur paintings, stuffed animals, and more.
- Donations and silent auction benefit the Duke Lemur Center‘s SAVA conservation programs in Madagascar
Lemur Conservation Foundation Celebrates the World Lemur Festival at the Ringling College of Art and Design
- Saturday, October 12, 2019
- 1:00 PM – 4:00 PM
- Alfred R. Goldstein Library
- Ringling College of Art and Design, Sarasota
Celebrate and learn about Madagascar and its unique primates at the second annual World Lemur Festival. Enjoy activities for all ages. The Lemur Conservation Foundation is proud to partner with Ringling College of Art and Design and New College of Florida to bring this free, family-friendly celebration to our community for the second year in a row.
The World Lemur Festival is a series of international events held throughout the world in October to celebrate lemurs and raise awareness for lemur conservation. Events have been held in Madagascar, Hungary, Japan, Canada, Germany, and cities throughout the United States. The Lemur Conservation Foundation supports World Lemur Festival celebrations in both Andapa, Madagascar and Sarasota, Florida.
Activities for all ages include:
- Juried Art Exhibition – featuring lemur-themed artwork by students and faculty from our partnering colleges
- Free Raffle – don’t miss your chance to win a small, group tour at the Lemur Conservation Foundation’s private reserve in Myakka City, Florida
- Fun and Games – conservation activities for children, including face painting, coloring, storytime, and more
- Film Screenings – learn about lemurs and life in Madagascar
- INKtober Drawing Demos – watch RCAD instructors Rebecca Zomchek (Illustration) and George Cwirko-Godycki (Computer Animation) draw ink images featuring lemurs right before your eyes
- Expert Talks – featuring Dr. Erik Patel, LCF Conservation & Research Director, and Gary Schumer, RCAD Computer Animation Instructor and artist
- Free Snacks – try Nature’s Path EnviroKidz delicious cereal bars and learn how EnviroKidz and LCF have partnered up to help save lemurs
- Out and About Coffee – coffee available for purchase
Students and faculty at Ringling College of Art and Design and New College of Florida are eligible to submit entries for the juried exhibition. To enter, please complete the submission form here: bit.ly/lemur2019.
Event illustration by Rachel Turner
San Diego, California
Lemur Love will be having a live event at North Park Beer Co at 3038 University Ave in San Diego on Oct 25, 4-8pm “Lemur Game Night”. You won’t want to miss this event!
- North Park Beer Company will be serving a very special Lemur-Themed Beer for purchase at the event!
- Additional food and beverages will be available for purchase at Mastiff Sausage Company (vegetarian & vegan options available).
- And in the “spirit” of Halloween, please feel free to dress up as a lemur (or any animal)!
- Bring your lucky lemur socks, your thinking cap, and bring out your party animal – there are prizes to be won & great times to be had!
- Get tickets (includes a Lemur Love shot glass!)
Millbrook, New York
Celebrate the World Lemur Festival at the Trevor Zoo at Millbrook School in Millbrook, NY on October 26 and 27!
- special lemur keeper talks
- free activity booklets for kids
- free giveaways
- and more!
Join the Louisiana Lemur Foundation at Lola’s Art Experience in Mandeville, Louisiana on October 25 for World Lemur Day!
- 11am to 6pm
- Lola’s Art Experience, 2637 Florida St., Mandeville, LA
Art and science combine for a day full of fun!
- Learn about lemurs
- Add to a lemur mural
- Choose a free ceramic to paint!
Fall Festival at Leesburg Animal Park
The Leesburg Animal Park has incorporated World Lemur Festival activities into their annual Fall Festival this year.
These adorable lemur-themed painted hay bales are on display (pictured right). Visitors can visit the zoo’s ring-tailed lemurs, and enjoy the other activities at the festival. Activities include wagon rides, hay maze, corn bin, kiddie zip line, and more.
Join us at the Aquarium for fun activities and keeper programs as well as a special screening of Lemurs 3D: Island of Madagascar at the Tennessee Aquarium IMAX 3D Theater!
- 10:30 am – 2:30 pm – Special activities: make a lemur mask, play Pin the Tail on the Lemur, do the Lemur Leap (souvenir stickers and candy while supplies last)
- 11:00 am – Lemur Life presentation
- 1:00 pm – Lemurs 3D playing at IMAX
- 2:00 pm – 2:30 pm – Velo the radiated tortoise appearance
- 3:00 pm – Lemur Life Presentation
World Lemur Day activities at the Aquarium are free with the price of admission. Regular IMAX rates apply for Lemurs 3D: Island of Madagascar.
Celebrate World Lemur Day at Denver Zoo! Join us for zookeeper talks, activities and more to discover all about the different species of lemurs, and why these amazing animals need our help. Learn more about the lemurs who call Denver Zoo home and the Animal Care teams who work with them every day. Learn what you can do to help lemurs here and around the world at this special celebration.
*Included in general admission
Sunday, November 3, 2019
- 10:30 AM- Storytime in Emerald Forest (Primate Panorama)
- 10:30 AM – 11:30 AM- Activity Station in Emerald Forest (Primate Panorama)
- 11:30 AM- Red-ruffed lemur Keeper Talk at Lemur Island Viewing in Primate Panorama
- 1:30 PM- Ring-tailed lemur Keeper Talk at Outdoor Lemur Habitat in Primate Panorama
- 2:30 PM- Aye-aye Keeper Talk in Aye-aye Lobby in Primate Panorama
Friday, October 25, 2019 at 9 AM – 5 PM CDT
We like to move it move it! We like to… celebrate lemurs! We have white ruffed lemurs and red ruffled lemurs for you to visit on this exciting day.
Schedule of events is TBA
This event is free with your general admission.
Lemur Awareness Weekend at Toronto Zoo
- Saturday, October 26 and Sunday, October 27, 2019
- Free with admission
- 11am to 3pm
- Lemur exhibit in the African Rainforest Pavilion
This event will offer a kids craft station, keepers, interpretive, silent auction as well as enrichment with the lemurs. Funds raised will go to LCN Member Planet Madagascar which supports local communities in Madagascar.
Events in UK and Europe
Chester Zoo, Chester, UK
Junior Members: Leap for Lemurs hosted by Chester Zoo
- Date: Saturday 26 October
- Time: 10.30am-12.30pm (13-17 years old) and 2pm-4pm (8-12 years old)
- Location: Meet at Joseph Banks room
- Cost: £12.50 per junior member
This Junior Member event is suitable for those aged 8-17.
Join us to celebrate the world of lemurs and meet our experts to learn everything there is to know about our species! You will become a behavior scientist and help our research team to collect important data on our group of lemurs. You will also get the chance to explore our field conservation work in Madagascar and plant your own tree sapling.
Reseheath Zoo, Nantwich, UK
- Sat Oct 26 2019 at 10 am
- Reaseheath Zoo, Reaseheath College, CW5 6DF Nantwich, Nantwich, United Kingdom
Join us for a weekend of fun to celebrate World Lemur Day 2019 which is on the 25th October.
There will be lots of Lemur themed activities from leaping like them, face painting and lots more! Just come and visit the Zoo on Saturday 26th October to join in.
There may be a donation for some of the activities as they will be raising money for the Madagascar Fauna and Flora Group.
World Lemur Day Charity Salsa Night
Hosted by Synchronicity Dance
- Fri 25th October at Longsdon Memorial Hall, Staffordshire, ST9 9QF UK
- 8pm – 12am
David Attenborough Building
- Friday 25th at 12pm
Oxford Brookes University
Join us to celebrate World Lemur Day
When? 29th October, 2019 from 10:00 to 16:00
Where? Union Hall, Oxford Brookes University
- Meet lemur researchers from Oxford Brookes University
- Find out about our work in south-east Madagascar
- Learn about the fantastic lemurs and people we work with
- Buy Malagasy crafts to help provide equipment for our Malagasy colleagues and their local schools in Tsitongambarika
Drop-in event. Everybody welcome!
Pairi Daiza Zoo, Belgium
Join us to celebrate World Lemur Day- Second edition
- From 25th October to 03th November
- Let’s meet the zoo keepers at “île de Nosy Komba”
- Join us to celebrate World Lemur Day and to learn more about these animals which are popular at Pairi Daiza Zoo.
- There are zookeepers talks, education activities and contests. Join us at each lemur feeding time at 11 am, 2 pm and 3 pm.