Celebrate lemurs on World Lemur Day, October 27! World Lemur Festival events will be held in Madagascar on November 10-11, and throughout the world at the end of October and beginning of November.
This event listing and map will be updated throughout the month.
Events in Madagascar
World Lemur Festival in Antananarivo, hosted by GERP
Nosy Be, Madagascar
We will set up a stand in Hell-ville near the market and we will promote our work here in Nosy Be with conservation messages, information about local lemur species and raising awareness about lemurs generally and pet lemurs! We will have information posters, questionnaires and kids activities, like coloring, word search and ringtail bracelet making!
Miavana- Time + Tide Foundation
Nosy Ankao, SAVA Region, District of Vohemar, Madagascar
As we are working on the conservation of lemurs and of the general environment on and around Nosy Ankao archipelago, NE Madagascar, we will celebrate this year the World Lemur Day by watching the “Island of lemurs” movie with the community. We will promote and raise awareness on lemur conservation with different activities such as presentation on lemurs, coloring and drawing with mainly the kids at school.
Events in the United States
Primatology Happy Hour, Washington DC
For the World Lemur Festival, join this monthly primatology group for a casual happy hour at Vapiano in Dupont Circle. Chat with conservationists, primatologists, and other primate and lemur fans. This is a great opportunity to discuss current research, learn about careers in primatology, and talk about travel experiences to see primates.
Wednesday, November 8, 5:30 p.m. to 8 p.m.
Vapiano in Dupont Circle, 1800 M Street NW
Smithsonian National Zoo, Washington DC
Friday, October 27, 11am – 1pm at Lemur Island
*If it rains, activities will be inside the Small Mammal House in front of the red-ruffed lemur exhibit.
Staten Island Zoo, New York
Lee Richardson Zoo in Garden City, Kansas
Sat, October 28, 2pm – 4pm
312 E Finnup Dr, Garden City, Kansas 67846
November 4th from 10 am to 4pm (eastern time)
There will have a variety of special activities throughout the day such as: lemur mask making station, lemur themed photo booth, education stations with lemur artifacts, plus many more. We will also have a variety of animal programs throughout the day including: 3 lemur programs where guests can watch the lemurs interact with special World Lemur Day enrichment while learning about their conservation and the island of Madagascar, multiple reptile programs using endemic species such as chameleons and radiated tortoises, and multiple education programs using hissing cockroaches. We are really looking forward to a day filled with lemur fun for our guests!
Salt Lake Community College
Utah, United States of America
Super Lemur Party!!! Students at Salt Lake Community College will be hosting a Super Lemur Party on October 26 10:00 am – 12:00 pm in conjunction with the World Lemur Festival. We will have games (e.g. Lemur Long Jump, Pin the Ringtail on the Lemur, Conservation Cornhole), coloring contest, raffle with awesome prizes, a photo booth, and a silent auction.
Pub the Riptide
San Francisco, United States of America
San Francisco lemur keepers are having an event at our local pub to raise awareness and donations to go towards AEECL. We are having a dollar proceed per every light beer “Lady blue brew” and a dark beer “Black and blue brew”.
The evening of the 27th
A silent auction on the evening of the 27th at the pub
Louisiana Lemur Foundation
Mandeville, Louisiana, United States
They are officially introducing their non-profit foundation, Louisiana Lemur Foundation on November 4th in Mandeville, Louisiana by having a launch party. The organization is committed to lemur conservation, public education, and non-invasive research. They have plans to build a sanctuary and research facility where they will house rescued pet-trade lemurs, rehabilitate them if possible, and conduct behavioral research to contribute to their scientific knowledge of these amazing creatures.
Peabody Natural History Museum
Yale Peabody Museum of Natural History, 170 Whitney Avenue (at the corner of Sachem Street, one block north of Trumbull Street), New Haven, CT 06511
October 29th, 1-3pm
Come celebrate World Lemur Festival at the Peabody Natural History Museum in New Haven, CT! Come meet Yale University lemur researchers to learn more about lemur science and discover your “spirit lemur!”
Wildlife Conservation Film Festival, New York
October 24th, 5-7pm
We are showing two short films, Madagascar Wildlife and The Burning of Borneo’s Peat Swamp Forest, in Series 19.
Here is the general website for the festival: http://www.wcff.org/. Here is the page to purchase tickets for our films: http://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/3047960
The Little Rock Zoo
1 Zoo Dr, Little Rock, AR 72205
October 28th, from 10am-3pm
Come and see our lemurs up close while learning about how they are endangered in the wild and what we can do to help! Join us for games, crafts, educational information, a scavenger hunt, story time with the Ako series, keeper chats and more
Events in Canada
2000 Meadowvale Rd, Toronto, ON M1B 5K7
Events in Europe
Miskolci Állatkert és Kultúrpark, Miskolc, Hungary
» Visit the Miskolc Zoo website
- Feeding and enrichment program in the lemur enclosure 11:00, 13:00, 15:00
- Presentation about Madagascar and lemurs with professionals
- Lemur adoption (annual aid for the supply of lemurs) – all day program
- Topic desk: wildlife risk factors and conservation efforts, solutions – talking with the visitors about Madagascar – all day program
- Madagascar coloring for children – all day program
- Books about Madagascar
Affenberg Salem Park, Germany
October 22nd-November 5th
Lemur Day at Affenberg Salem!: Chances for Nature (www.chancesfornature.org) in cooperation with Affenberg Salem (Germanys biggest monkey outdoor enclosure) will celebrate the Lemur Day during their Conservation Week from 22.10-5.11.2017. All Visitors are invited to see a beautiful exposition with amazing portraits of lemurs. The exposition will raise awareness about lemur conservation and inform about several ongoing projects of Chances for Nature in Madagascar. The exposition is free of charge.
Events in Asia
Japan Monkey Centre
October 21st, 1-2pm (Opening Event):
- Talk about Madagascar. Where is Madagascar and what is the place like? What kind of animals are living there? A keeper who has visited there and a researcher who is studying wild animals in Madagascar will give talks about their experience and the latest research: Gone to Madagascar! (Chigusa Tanaka : JMC) ★ This is what I’m doing in Madagascar! (Dr. Shinichiro Ichino: CAAS)
October 21st, 22nd, and 28th– activity starts at 2:30pm. (CAPACITY: 10 FEE: 800 yen)
- Let’s make snacks for lemurs! We are going to make beautiful and delicious festival feast for lemurs and watch them eating.
October 29th(Main events):
- 1:30pm All Stripes Come and Gather! We gather up with black and white stripe clothes on or wearing original keychain or hat. We are going to take a group photo with drones
- Puzzlemurs! A game you will solve mysteries that are set in the center facilities. Three different levels (Beginner, Intermediate, and Advanced) are available. Entry Qualifications: Need to wear black and white striped clothes or original keychain or hat
- Madagascar Photo Exhibition We display photographs taken in Madagascar. Beautiful scenery and lots of lemurs.
- Sell original lemur goods New arrival! Original Lemur towel.
Tokiwa Zoo, Yamaguchi Prefecture, Japan
- Let’s play in a maze! -This is a maze made of the corrugated cardboard and children can learn about lemur in playing.
October 28 and 29th
- True or False Quiz! -Keeper talk about lemur and give some quizzes
- into the “Wao” -The participant can go near ring-tailed lemur.
Several organizations are holding online events and specials for the World Lemur Festival. Stay tuned for more details.
Buy a 2017 World Lemur Day T-Shirt, Sweatshirt, or Mug!
All shirt and mug sales benefit lemur conservation programs in Madagascar.
Download Lemur Wallpapers for your Computer, Tablet or Phone!
Photographer Mathias Appel has created these TEN lemur wallpapers for World Lemur Day! Thank you, Mathias!Download Wallpaper Files from Dropbox
Submit Your Event
Holding an event? Let us know and we will add it to our map and this blog post. Share your photos and stories online using the hashtag #WorldLemurFestival!Email your event details to LCN Director Lucia Rodriguez firstname.lastname@example.org or submit via our contact form.Submit Your Event